Sunday, October 17, 2010

Shredding

Shredding garments is about the most fun thing you can do if you're both DIY and OCD. So, oh god I love it. This video is the first thing I stumbled upon when looking for instruction on how to get the effect. I don't know why, but I have a total voice crush on this girl. Know what I mean? When someone's voice is just, ooh...nice? I have crippling voice crushes on H Jon Benjamin, and Will Arnett. Their voices just feel like being drunk and slipping into a hot bath made of cashmere and baby skin. Delish. This lady is not quite like that, but there IS something about her voice that makes my eyes close a little. And plus, she shows us how to shred a shirt! Let's watch:



So naturally, I went crazy with these instructions and shredded a bunch of things. The first success I had came after several repurposings. Which is why it ended up as an indeterminate hood thing. But I still end up wearing it an awful lot, despite its very Padmé Amidala overtones.






































After awhile, I got the hang of things and I started to apply the shredding technique to existing shirts of mine that I liked, but were too ill-fitting to be among my favorites. Shredding makes things bigger, so regular-fitting tees become more draped. The overall look is elegant and ragged with a sort of apocalyptic flavor -especially if you wear a bunch of shredded pieces together. Here are front and back views of three pieces I've finished:














1 comment:

  1. I WANT! I especially love that first one... if I send you some shirts can you just shred the crap out of them for me? K, thanks.

    ReplyDelete